— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
October 7, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, October 7, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- Bill Meade has used the patrol that Murphy Tractor brought up for the county to demo. Dennis stated that he is interested in purchasing the patrol and shared with Commissioners information concerning the purchase of the patrol. Following discussion, Dennis Henry moved to approve the purchase of a used 2011 John Deere 770GP motor grader from Murphy Tractor and Equipment Company at a cost of $119,482 with trade in of a 2001 Caterpillar 140H motor grader. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. The cost for the patrol will be paid out of the county’s Special Machinery Fund.
- They tried out the used dozer that Foley Equipment brought up for the county to demo. Dennis stated that he is interested in purchasing the dozer as well. Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to approve the purchase of a used 1991 Caterpillar D6H dozer at a cost of $80,000 with trade in of a 1973 Caterpillar 120 motor grader. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. The cost for the dozer will also be paid out of the county’s Special Machinery Fund.
- He will probably go get a load of salt soon.
- Office Manager Janet Linden received a right of way easement request from Pottawatomie County Rural Water District #3. They would like to bore under E Road and also 24th Road. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the right of way easement request with Pottawatomie County Rural Water District #3. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the request as presented.
Dennis Henry moved to purchase fourteen portable defibrillators through Nemaha Valley Community Hospital at a total cost of $30,026.78 to be paid for out of the Broxterman Estate Home Health Fund. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Gary Scoby signed the requisition form for the defibrillators as presented. The defibrillators will be installed in County Sheriff’s patrol cars and in the cities’ patrol cars as well.
Commissioners signed a letter of support as presented to be submitted with a grant application by Cathy Holthaus who is seeking funds through the Heritage Trust Fund Grant program to make repairs to the exterior woodworking and the windows of the old First National Bank building in Seneca, Kansas.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement as presented for the quarter ending September 30, 2013.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- They are currently holding ten inmates in the jail.
- His department had a quiet weekend this past week.
Sherri Stallbaumer, Kari VanWinkle, Ross Mosteller, Karen VanWinkle, and Jennifer Hermesch with the Nemaha County 4-H Ambassadors came before the board to let Commissioners know what activities they have been doing throughout Nemaha County to promote the 4-H organization. The group stated that this week is National 4-H Week and that they will be doing special activities this week to try to get other kids involved in 4-H. Commissioners signed a proclamation in honor of National 4-H Week as presented.
David Elsbury, Patti Merchant, and Lisa Zakutansky came before the board on behalf of Kanza Mental Health and Guidance Center. Mr. Elsbury stated that this year Kanza is celebrating their 50th anniversary of service to its citizens. He is requesting that Commissioners sign a proclamation in honor of Kanza’s 50th anniversary and naming October 2013 as Mental Illness Awareness Month. Commissioners signed the proclamation as presented.
The board reviewed the minutes from the September 30, 2013 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 12:30 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, October 14, 2013 at 9:00 am.