— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 8, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 8, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he has seen a draft of the design for the new fair building. Dennis shared copies of the draft with Commissioners for their review.
- Scotwood Industries will charge the county an additional three cents per gallon for the dust control product used last year on county roads. Following discussion, Commissioners decided to charge the same amount as last year ($1.50 per running foot) to county residents who are interested in having the product applied near their property. Dennis stated that he will be getting an advertisement to the paper soon for this.
- Office Manager Janet Linden received a right of way easement request from Housley Communications. They would like to run a phone line along the north side of Stringtown Road at the intersection of Stringtown Road and State Highway 63. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the right of way easement request with Housley Communications. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the request form as presented.
- Janet had paperwork for the board to sign in connection with the federal funds exchange program. Commissioners signed the paperwork as presented.
- Janet had contracts for the board to sign with Hamm Quarries and Ergon Asphalt and Emulsions for materials for the KSI Conveyor’s CDBG grant project. Commissioners signed the contracts as presented.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a very active week this past week.
- they are currently holding sixteen inmates in the jail.
- Eisenbarth Plumbing has been working to fix plumbing problems in the jail.
- he would like to pay for the new truck for the Sheriff’s Department and for three 800 megahertz radios out of capital outlay. Following discussion, Commissioners agreed that the cost for these items could be paid out of the General Fund portion of Capital Outlay.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed add/abate orders as presented.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for March 2013 and the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement for the quarter ending March 31, 2013 as presented.
Gary Scoby moved to adopt a Fair Housing Proclamation proclaiming April as Fair Housing Month in Nemaha County. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the proclamation as presented.
Tim Burdiek moved to approve an updated Nemaha County, Kansas Conflict of Interest Policy to comply with the CDBG grant program in the State of Kansas. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Gary Scoby signed the policy as presented.
County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans and Deputy Election Officer DeAnn Koch came before the board in order to conduct the 2013 City/School General Election Canvass at 10:00 am. The canvass was completed at 12:00 pm.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Fern Odum came before the board to discuss recent applications for her position with Commissioners. Fern stated that she plans to interview for this position within the next couple of weeks.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 1, 2013 meeting. Dennis Henry moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 1:30 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 15, 2013 at 9:00 am.