— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 22, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 22, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he had a final copy of the cost estimate that he plans to send to Nancy Gafford with Rural Development Association of Northeast Kansas for improvements to a 4.2 mile stretch of 24
th Road in Red Vermillion Township. Dennis shared this information with Commissioners.
- the salesman with J&A Materials contacted him about some used bridge beams that they currently have for sale. Following discussion, Dennis Henry moved to approve the purchase of the used bridge beams at a cost of $12,220.80. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- Office Manager Janet Linden had prepared the annual Road Supervisor’s Report that needs to be submitted to the Kansas Department of Transportation. Janet shared a copy of this report with Commissioners.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
- the tornado siren at Baileyville failed to sound the last time it was tested. Todd stated that Haug Communications has looked at the siren and has submitted a quote to repair it at a cost of $1,430.00. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the quote from Haug Communications with the cost to be paid out of the General Fund. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the middle of the month.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed add/abate orders as presented.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- they are currently holding sixteen inmates in the jail.
- his department had a very active week and weekend this past week.
- he would like to hold more discussions with Commissioners over the next few months concerning the building of a new jail. Rich stated that he will talk to an architect about how the county should proceed in this process.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Fern Odum came before the board to request an executive session with Commissioners. Tim Burdiek moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 11:45 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Senior Services/Public Transit Director Fern Odum, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans. The meeting returned to open session at 11:45 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 15, 2013 meeting. Dennis Henry moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad advised Commissioners that the recent tax sale went really well with only two parcels that did not sell, which were both mineral rights.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 1:20 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 29, 2013 at 9:00 am.