Marysville, KansasLocal Weather Alerts
There are currently no active weather alerts.
Home | KNDY News | Washington County Commissioners Minutes 2-4-13

Washington County Commissioners Minutes 2-4-13

The Board of Washington County Commission met in regular session on Monday, February 4, 2013 in the commission room at the Washington County Courthouse.  Present:  Alison Mueller, 1st District Commissioner, Chairman; Roger Otott, Vice Chairman, 2nd District Commissioner; Gary Ouellette, 3rd District Commissioner; and Denae Dimler, County Clerk; Elizabeth Hiltgen, County Attorney, was absent.


Chairman Mueller called the meeting to order.


Next regular meeting will be Monday, February 11, 2013 at 8:30 A.M.


Denae Dimler, County Clerk, discussed Resolution 13-12 regarding salaries for elected officials.  The Board agreed to raise the salary of the County Clerk after a probationary period.  Resolution 01-13 was approved and signed by Board of Commission designating Denae as Freedom of Information Officer and HIPAA Officer for Washington County.  Denae presented payroll and bills totaling $331,039.80.


The Board approved and signed official minutes from January 14, 22, and 28.


The Board approved and Chairman Mueller signed Official Bond for Kyle Applegarth and Official Bond and Affidavit of Sureties for James Goeckel, Charleston Township Trustee;  Doug Gerleve, Charleston Township Treasurer; Dean Lovgren, Lowe Township Clerk; and James Otott, Linn Township Trustee.


The Board received notice from KDHE of a pending application for a swine facility at SE/4 of Section 08, T04S, R01E in Washington County.


Ann Hawk, County Treasurer, presented payroll change notices.  No action taken.


Duane Bruna, Environmental Science Director, discussed routine matters at the landfill.  Duane reported on a meeting he and staff attended in Topeka last week and that the KDOT meeting was rescheduled to this Wednesday due to the snow last week.


Justin Cordry, County Sheriff, reported that the jail currently houses 9 Sedgwick County inmates and 3 Washington County inmates.  Justin reported the new Sheriff’s Facebook page, found at Washington County Kansas Sheriff’s Department, is up and running.  He also reported that the department has installed LeadsOnline software.  LeadsOnline is the nation’s largest online investigation system used by law enforcement to recover stolen property, help stop meth makers, reduce metal theft, and solve crimes.  Two officers will be going to Coffeyville for training.


The Board and Justin Cordry entered into executive session for 5 minutes regarding non-elected personnel.  No action was taken.


Debbie Swoboda, Emergency Management Coordinator, informed the Board that she has approx. 30 people on a waiting list for weather radios.  The Board approved the purchase of 100 radios from Andy’s Hardware.  Emergency management is acquiring the weather radios through a state program that enables it to purchase them using money from its budget and then be reimbursed 75 percent of the cost by the state.  The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the individuals who want to buy the radios.  A Storm Spotters meeting will be held March 19th.  The Board approved the meal to be catered by Ricky’s Café.  Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will hold a meeting on February 14th at 5:30 in the Firehouse in Washington.


The Board approved and signed a commitment letter for bond insurance for Series 2013 Revenue Bonds.


David Willbrant, Public Works Administrator, reported on routine matters.  Bids for Batwing mowers are open and will be due February 19th.  Fuel bids were reviewed.  Kramer Oil was awarded the 1 year contract.  They had the low bid of $214,846.


The Board and David Willbrant entered into executive session for 10 minutes.  No action was taken.


The meeting adjourned at 12:15 P.M.

About Kevin Rippe

Kevin Rippe was born in Marysville and moved to Smith Center at the age of 1, then graduated from Smith Center High School in 1995. He graduated from Cloud County Community College in 1997, and joined the staff of KKAN/KQMA radio in Phillipsburg a year later. Since June of 2011 Kevin has been with us here at Your Country KNDY. You can hear Kevin on daily news reports, as well as calling area high school football and basketball. Kevin lives in Marysville with his wife Melissa, and 4 children Brennen, Jacob, Bailee, and Joshua.