— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
February 25, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, February 25, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- they are out of sand and salt in Corning. Dennis stated that they will haul some to Corning from Seneca, but are hoping that they do not have to purchase any more sand or salt for use during this season.
- the annual safety meeting is scheduled for March 14
- th at Valentino’s in Seneca at 9:00 am.
- Bridge M-4 located between sections 10 and 15 in Home Township is out. Dennis stated that signs have been put up notifying the public that this bridge is out.
- Office Manager Janet Linden received an invitation for Commissioners to the Kansas County Highway Officials Meeting to be held in May in Wichita.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
- in order for the county to qualify for FEMA Disaster Assistance from a weather related event, expenses due to the event would have to surpass $30,000. Todd stated that if the county would qualify for the assistance, it would also pay for employees’ overtime.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- they are currently holding ten Nemaha County inmates in the jail, one inmate in Osawatomie, one inmate at KU, and a female inmate for Marshall County.
- in the past, inmates were required to pay a $10.00 co pay when they needed to see a doctor. Rich stated that now the Judge will assess the inmates’ medical bills to them and they will be required to pay this as restitution as part of their probation.
- his department had a relatively quiet weekend this past weekend.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum came back before the board to request an executive session with Commissioners. Tim Burdiek moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 10:55 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum. The meeting returned to open session at 10:55 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Senior Services Director Fern Odum came before the board to request an executive session with Commissioners. Tim Burdiek moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 11:10 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Senior Services Director Fern Odum, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans. At 11:10 am, Chairman Gary Scoby requested an additional ten minutes in executive session. The meeting returned to open session at 11:20 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners asked Brad for an update on the pending tax sale. Brad stated that he plans to speak with Sheriff Vernon later today and hopefully get a date set for the tax sale. Brad stated that the date would probably be approximately six weeks from now.
Brad requested that the Assistant County Attorney receive $40.00 per month to reimburse her for using her personal cell phone for county business. Gary Scoby moved to compensate the Assistant County Attorney $40.00 per month in cell phone reimbursement. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed the minutes from the February 19, 2013 meeting. Dennis Henry moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 1:50 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, March 4, 2013 at 9:00 am.