— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
February 19, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he has hired Ryan Allen to fill the open position in the Road and Bridge Department. Dennis stated that Ryan’s first day of work will be March 1
- Hall Brothers let him know that they will be doing a State job near Corning soon and will have 15,000 ton of millings for sale. Dennis asked Commissioners if they were interested in purchasing the millings at a cost of $5.50 a ton. Commissioners advised Dennis to go ahead and purchase the millings.
- Donna Crawford, administrator of the KSI Conveyor’s CDBG grant, informed Dennis that a 4 foot by 8 foot sign needs to be put up along the road on which improvements were made with the grant money. Dennis stated that the Road and Bridge Department will construct a sign to be posted along this road that includes the information necessary to meet the grant requirements.
- someone has requested that “children at play” signs be posted along 192
- nd Road in Washington Township. Commissioners advised Dennis to have this person talk to the Washington Township officials concerning this issue.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a relatively active week this past week.
- they are currently holding nine inmates in the jail, one inmate in Jackson County, and one inmate in Osawatomie.
- an electrician is working on the back up generator at the Law Enforcement Center right now.
- he had a couple of issues that he thought needed to be addressed in the updated Employee Handbook. Commissioners advised Rich to bring these issues to County Attorney Brad Lippert who will be speaking to Commissioners about possible changes to make to the handbook.
Senior Services Director Fern Odum came before the board. Fern requested an executive session with Commissioners. Gary Scoby moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 10:55 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Tim Burdiek seconded the
motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Senior Services Director Fern Odum, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans. At 10:55 am, Chairman Gary Scoby requested an additional five minutes in executive session. The meeting returned to open session at 11:00 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Fern requested the Chairman’s signature on paperwork to be submitted to the State listing the authorized signers at Nemaha County. Chairman Gary Scoby signed the paperwork as presented.
Fern also spoke to Commissioners about possibly purchasing handless head sets for the bus drivers’ cell phones and also about raising the recommended donation cost for meals at the nutrition center.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum came back before the board to introduce Ryan Allen to Commissioners.
Sheriff Rich Vernon also came back before the board to introduce Brad Rohlmeier to Commissioners. Brad was recently hired to fill the open jailer position in the Sheriff’s Department. Brad’s first day at work for the county was last Monday, February 11
Sheriff Rich Vernon requested an executive session with Commissioners. Gary Scoby moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 11:40 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 11:40 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Following a request submitted by the Sabetha Project Prom Fundraising Committee, Gary Scoby moved to donate $50.00 toward any after prom party request submitted to Nemaha County in 2013. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed the minutes from the February 11, 2013 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for January 2013 as presented.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum came back before the board to ask Commissioners about Matt McFall hauling glass for the county at a cost of $4.00 per loaded mile and about Matt McFall putting up the hay around the Nemaha County Transfer Station. The board agreed to these items.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had Brad review Resolution 2013-1 to establish the Nemaha County Oil & Gas Valuation Depletion Trust Fund. Commissioners also asked Brad about the garnishment order received in the County Clerk’s Office last week. Brad let Commissioners know that the Kansas legislature is considering legislation that would establish a set back requirement of ½ mile from residences for the construction of windmills within the State.
Gary Scoby moved to approve Resolution 2013-1 to establish the Nemaha County Oil and Gas Valuation Depletion Trust Fund. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the resolution as presented.
County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans spoke to Commissioners about replacing a computer in the Clerk’s Office. Mary Kay presented a quote from Dell in the amount of $1,474.20 for the cost of a new computer. Following discussion, Dennis Henry moved to approve the purchase of a new computer for the Clerk’s Office from Dell at a cost of $1,474.20. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 1:15 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, February 25, 2013 at 9:00 am.