— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
January 22, 2013 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- Martin Marietta will not have chips available in DuBois until May 1st. Dennis stated that he would prefer to have the chips he needs for this summer hauled before that time. Commissioners advised Dennis not to wait around and to go ahead and get the chips hauled from another quarry sometime soon.
- Rock Creek Township wants to put up a building near the county’s hoop shed located west of Sabetha in order to house their patrol. Commissioners stated that they would like the township officials to come in and make a formal request concerning this issue.
- Vaughn Sowers in the Road and Bridge Department has resigned his position with the county. His last day of work will be January 25
- th. Commissioners advised Dennis to begin advertising in order to fill this position.
Mark Lawlor with Clean Line Energy came before the board. Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden were also present for this discussion. Mr. Lawlor stated that his company has been working on identifying a route for the transmission of renewable power from Kansas to Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and other markets farther east. He stated that public meetings will be held soon in the area in order to get feedback from local landowners and residents. A public meeting is scheduled in Seneca at the Nemaha County Community Building on February 12
th. Mr. Lawlor showed Commissioners the routes that they are considering at this time, but stated that construction of the transmission lines is still at least two years out.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a normal weekend this past weekend.
- they are currently holding ten inmates in the jail and one inmate in Jackson County.
- he has been interviewing applicants for the open jailer position in the Sheriff’s Department.
- they will be holding a Sheriff’s auction this spring to get rid of items no longer needed.
- he is still having problems with the generator at the Law Enforcement Center and is waiting for an electrician to be able to take a look at it.
Chairman Gary Scoby recessed the meeting at 11:35 am.
Commissioners returned to the meeting room at 12:30 pm.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the middle of the month.
The board reviewed the minutes from the January 14, 2013 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans let Commissioners know that she spoke with Paul Kaeb with KSI Conveyors, Inc. by phone following last week’s meeting. Mr. Kaeb stated that he has decided not to pursue trying to get the amortization schedule amended that was set up for the repayment of the CDBG grant match.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
Following review of the Nemaha County 2013 Reorganization, Tim Burdiek moved to amend the reorganization to include salaried employees’ years of service pay. Dennis Henry seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the reorganization as presented.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Neighborhood Revitalization Rebate applications as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 2:15 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:00 am.