— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
December 3, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, December 3, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Commissioner Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also was Commissioner Tim Burdiek, Commissioner elect Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes. Chairman Mark Wessel was absent from today’s meeting.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he had done some research into which bridges in the county would need to be inspected in connection with the most recent bridge inspection to be completed. Dennis talked with Commissioners about which bridges he had listed that would need to be inspected that are considered fracture critical.
- he was approached by Glen Meyer about replacing a tube on the Nemaha-Marshall County line, however the tube is actually a Marshall County township tube. Dennis stated that he thought Mr. Meyer needed to talk to Marshall County about this issue.
- Welborn Sales has some 6-foot tubes that he could get for about half price, but he would have to go pick them up in Oskaloosa. Following discussion, Commissioners advised Dennis to go ahead and purchase the tubes.
- he recently spoke with the salesman from Westfall-O’Dell Truck Sales about purchasing a used pickup for the Road and Bridge Department. Commissioners also talked to Dennis about taking bids for a new truck for the Road and Bridge Department.
- the new truck purchased earlier for the Solid Waste Department is now in the paint shop and should be ready to use soon.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
- he is requesting that Commissioners amend the 2012 Noxious Weed Department’s budget. Todd stated that they have the cash they need, but are not able to spend it without amending the budget. Commissioners will consider this issue at next week’s meeting.
- he was contacted by SBS Insurance about reducing the coverage on the storage shed located behind the courthouse since the Emergency Preparedness equipment that was being stored in the shed is no longer being stored there.
- the Emergency Preparedness Department was turned down for a siren grant that they applied for. Todd stated that they will try for this grant again at a later time.
Sheriff Rich Vernon and Under Sheriff Bob Cross advised the board that:
- the Sheriff’s Department had a busy week this past week.
- they are currently holding eleven inmates in the jail.
- they will be advertising soon for the open jailer’s position due to the recent death of Mike Yost who had been employed by the county for sixteen years.
- there was damage done to a bridge north of Wetmore recently from a vehicle accident. Commissioners stated that they would make sure that Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum was aware of this issue.
Rita Holthaus came before the board to ask for permission to place a bench on the courthouse grounds in memory of her husband Francis (Fritz) Holthaus who served as Magistrate Judge in Nemaha County for eighteen years. Mrs. Holthaus showed Commissioners where she would like to place the bench near the front walk of the courthouse. The board stated that they thought this was a great idea.
Maintenance employees Troy and Jennifer Melvin pointed out to Commissioners some problems they are having with the concrete in front of the courthouse.
The board reviewed the minutes from the November 26, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Appraiser Betty Roeder came before the board to request to purchase new computers for her office. Betty stated that the GIS computer needs to be replaced. She presented a quote from Dell in the amount of $1,152.19 to replace the GIS computer. Betty also stated that she would like to replace two other PC’s in her office used by her staff. She presented a quote from Dell in the amount of $2,508.35 for two new computers to replace these PC’s. Betty also stated that she would like all of her staff members in the office to have dual monitors for their computers. She presented a quote from Dell in the amount of $402.75 to purchase three extra monitors for the office. Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to purchase three Dell computers and three extra monitors from Dell at the prices indicated above. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Betty let Commissioners know that she would like to switch all of her GIS Arc Info coverage’s to the new Geo Data Base system. She presented a quote from Rodney Sanders to convert the data to the new data base system and train her staff at a cost of $13,470.00. Commissioners made no decision on this purchase request at this time.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners had no county business to discuss with Brad at this time.
With no further county business coming before the board, Commissioner Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 12:35 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, December 10, 2012 at 9:00 am.