— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
November 19, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, November 19, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also was Commissioner Gary Scoby, Commissioner elect Dennis Henry, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes. Commissioner Tim Burdiek was absent from today’s meeting.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- they got the beams set last week for the center span of the new bridge (Bridge J-1 south of Seneca).
- he had the rock trucks hauling chips last week.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for October 2012 as presented.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed a letter of support provided to Kanza Mental Health & Guidance Center, Inc. to be submitted with their grant application to the Kansas Department of Transportation.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the middle of the month.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised that board that:
- his department had an average week last week while Rich was attending training in Hays.
- they are currently holding thirteen inmates in the jail, eleven male and two female inmates.
- as of right now he is approximately $90,000.00 under budget for 2012. Rich stated that he would like to make some improvements to the deputy’s room that would be paid for out of the Concealed Carry fund. Rich stated that he would also like to add cameras in a couple of different areas in the jail.
- he has been dealing with some issues with the toilets in the jail and with the back up generator for the Law Enforcement Center.
- he would like an executive session with Commissioners. Gary Scoby moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 10:35 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 10:35 am with Sheriff Vernon announcing that he will be moving forward with an application submitted by Frank Wessel as a relief jailer for Nemaha County.
The board reviewed the minutes from the November 5, 2012 meeting, the November 9, 2012 special meeting, and the November 12, 2012 special meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve all three sets of minutes as presented. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 12:20 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 9:00 am.