— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
October 22, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, October 22, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he had prices on oil burners to share with Commissioners. Dennis stated that John would prefer to go with the Omni brand. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the purchase of an Omni oil burner at a cost of $6,999.00. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- he has the guys finishing up intersections on the Bern-Sabetha Road and the Humboldt Road.
- he has the guys hauling rock out of the Strathman quarry.
- he would prefer to go with UniFirst to provide uniform services for employees when the current contract with Ameripride expires.
- Office Manager Janet Linden received an estimate from the State for the county’s cost of the overlay recently put on Wichman Road. Janet shared the estimate with Commissioners.
- Janet received an updated amount from the State that the county is eligible for through the federal funds exchange program. Janet shared this information with Commissioners as well.
- Janet also received a check from Richardson County for their share of the cost to replace Bridge C-5 on the state line.
The board opened sealed bids received for the administration of the CDBG grant for Flint Hills Recycling. Ranson Financial Consultants, LLC bid $35,000.00 to write and administer this grant. Commissioners made no decision at this time whether to accept or reject the bid received.
Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to accept the bid from UniFirst to provide uniform services for employees when the current contract expires in December. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Following review of a request made from USD #380, Tim Burdiek moved to allow $798.00 from the Henrietta Broxterman Estate for the purchase of an iPad and applications for Hunter Schober of Centralia, Kansas. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a busy weekend this past weekend.
- they are currently holding fifteen inmates in the jail. Rich let Commissioners know that he has two male beds and one female bed available at the jail at this time.
- he will be conducting four interviews this week for the open deputy position in his department.
- the new computers recently ordered for his department are in and being installed. Two of these computers are for dispatch and one for an officer.
- all of the 800 megahertz radios from the State have been installed and two more of these radios have been ordered.
Tracy Seitz with Scott Human Resources came before the board to review and make changes to the draft copy of the employee handbook that her company put together for Nemaha County. County Attorney Brad Lippert joined this discussion as well. Ms. Seitz will meet with Commissioners again on October 29
th to further discuss and review Nemaha County’s employee handbook.
County Attorney Brad Lippert informed Commissioners that he is awaiting further information concerning establishing an oil and gas valuation depletion trust fund in Nemaha County before taking further action on this issue.
The board reviewed the minutes from the October 15, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Commissioners spoke with Nancy Gafford with Rural Development Association of Northeast Kansas by phone concerning the bid received for the administration of the CDBG grant for Flint Hills Recycling. Mark Wessel moved to look into the possibility of soliciting bids outside of our region for the administration of the CDBG grant for Flint Hills Recycling. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 4:30 pm. Commissioners will hold a special meeting on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 9:00 am to meet with county department heads and ING Financial Partners to discuss employee benefits.