— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
September 24, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, September 24, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- they are having problems with Adam Kuckelman’s Mack truck. Dennis stated that the truck will need to be sent to the dealer in Lincoln to be fixed.
- the tires on the fork lift at the landfill need to be replaced. Dennis stated that they could use the Road and Bridge fork lift at times as well.
- the new truck recently purchased for the Solid Waste Department may be in during the first week of October. Dennis stated that the truck will then get the body put on it before it is ready to be used.
- the guys hauled rock last week and will continue to do so this week as well.
- all county roads have been bladed once and rock will be laid in where necessary.
- Office Manager Janet Linden needs to submit a federal funds exchange form for Bridge J-1. Janet stated that she needs to ask about the project completed date to list on the form and will then get the Commissioners’ signatures on the form before submitting to KDOT.
Gary Scoby moved to approve the contract with IBM for the following year. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Mark Wessel signed the contract as presented and the purchase order from Manatron in the amount of $3,241.19 to pay for the hardware and software maintenance that goes along with the IBM contract.
The board reviewed the minutes from the September 17, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a very quiet weekend this past weekend.
- they did some search warrant work last week.
- they are currently holding six inmates in the jail.
- he talked to three different companies about installing new countertop space and shelving in the Jail Office to accommodate the addition of the electronic fingerprint system recently put in this office. Rich stated that he received two bids for this work, one from Hilltop Creations for $3,713.15 and one from Suther Building Supply for $4,990.00. Following discussion, Gary Scoby moved to approve the bid from Hilltop Creations at a total cost of $3,713.15 including installation. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- he needed an executive session with Commissioners. Gary Scoby moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 10:35 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 10:35 am with Sheriff Vernon announcing that Kenny Miller in his department has announced his resignation effective September 30th. Rich stated that he will be advertising for the open position in the Sheriff’s Office.
Michelle Strube, Kelly Nichols, Mary Winkler, Bob Bartkowski, Nick Scott, Josh Ballenger, and Rich Vernon came before the board on behalf of the Nemaha County United 4 Youth organization. Ms. Strube stated that this organization did not receive the grant money that they recently applied for and are requesting funding from the county to keep their organization active and continuing to make a difference in the lives of kids in Nemaha County. Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to appropriate $7,000.00 to the Nemaha County United 4 Youth organization out of the county’s alcohol control fund. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Tim Burdiek also moved to allow the Nemaha County United 4 Youth organization to receive half of the amount deposited quarterly into the county’s alcohol control fund by the State of Kansas effective September 24, 2012. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad stated that he will be talking to Judge Weingart about setting a date for the upcoming tax sale.
Gary Scoby moved to accept the bid from Troy Lewis Construction for installing a north entrance at the Community Building and installing a sidewalk to the entrance at a total cost of $12,584.88. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 1:10 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 9:00 am.