— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
June 4, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, June 4, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- all of the rock has now been hauled and is being laid down for the KSI Conveyor’s road project. He stated that when the road is cured out, they will seal the road as well.
- they will be blade patching on the Wetmore-Sabetha Road this week. Dennis stated that they still have more blade patching to do on other county roads this summer as well.
- Justin Mars started work on Friday and that Jim McMullen will now come to Seneca to work each day.
- Husker Steel let him know that the beams are in for the bridge that will be replaced south of Seneca.
- two applications were received for the dust control program offered by the county. Dennis stated that he will talk to Scotwood Industries about delivering the dust control product needed.
- Office Manager Janet Linden had information for Commissioners concerning a pre-construction conference to be held on June 18
th at 1:30 pm in Horton to discuss work to be done on Highway 75 north of Sabetha.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the end of May. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the May 2012 warrants and pay vouchers as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed the minutes from the May 29, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had an interesting weekend including a protest on Sunday along Highway 36.
- they are currently holding five inmates in the jail.
- he would like to request the same budget amount for 2013 for the Sheriff’s Department as was received in 2012.
Lynn Niehues and Audrey Schremmer-Philip with Three Rivers, Inc. came before the board. They presented information to Commissioners explaining the services provided to county residents by this organization. They discussed with Commissioners budget cuts for 2013 that will affect their organization. The group is requesting funding from the county for 2013 in the amount of $20,000.
Stephen Aberle, Ed Key, Terry Montgomery, Troy Strahm, Jeanette Montgomery, Alan J. Meyer, Jake Meyer, Morris Edelman, Kurt Detweiler, Pam Wenger, Terri Herrmann, Randy Garber, Bill Herrmann, Allen Rokey, Craig Strahm, Melissa Detweiler, Chris Menold, Myreon Menold, and Morris Rokey came before the board to discuss the construction of a wind farm located in Northeast Nemaha County. County Attorney Brad Lippert was also present for this discussion. Mr. Detweiler explained to Commissioners the situation that property owners present are concerned with. Discussion was held concerning restrictions that could possibly be put in place regarding how far back the turbines must sit from homes, etc. County Attorney Brad Lippert will research the legal options that the county has at this point concerning the construction of the wind farm. Commissioners asked for any information that the group could provide from residents living near the wind farm recently constructed in Nebraska. A second meeting will be set up later on with Commissioners to discuss the issues brought up today.
Jim Runnebaum with SBS Insurance Services came before the board to present and review a proposal for renewing the county’s insurance policy for the term beginning July 1, 2012.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 1:45 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, June 11, 2012 at 9:00 am.