Milford Lake has been placed under an “Advisory” status. An “Advisory” status means that Harmful blue-green algae have been detected. A Public Health Advisory indicates that a hazardous condition exists.
When an Advisory is issued, KDHE recommends the following precautions be taken:
- Humans, pets, and livestock do not drink untreated lake water
- Clean fish and rinse with clean water, consume only the filet portion, discarding other parts
- Do not eat or allow pets to eat dried algae
- If lake water comes in contact with skin or pet fur, wash with clean potable water as soon as possible
- Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation
- KDHE will continue to monitor these public waters and will update these statements as conditions warrant.