UNOFFICIAL MINUTES — These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting. May 14, 2012 Unofficial The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 14, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse.
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute.
Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and Deputy County Clerk Sandy Koelzer recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report: Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• he has hired Justin Mars as a new employee in the Road and Bridge Department on the bridge crew. Justin was present at today’s meeting so that Dennis could introduce him and so that he could fill out paperwork in the Clerk’s Office, but he will not be starting work until June 1st. Justin will be paid a starting wage of $11.75 per hour unless he obtains his CDL by the time he begins work on June 1st. If so, the starting wage would then be $13.00 per hour. After six months of employment, Justin would be eligible to move to $13.99 per hour following the recommendation of the Road Supervisor. • he would like the landfill to be closed on May 26th (the Saturday before Memorial Day). Commissioners agreed to this. Dennis will notify the public of the closure.
• he has received a few applications for the open position in the Solid Waste Department. Commissioners reviewed the applications received so far for this position.
• he would prefer to purchase the dust control product from Scotwood Industries, Inc. Commissioners agreed to this. Dennis will advertise that county residents and businesses can have this product applied to their gravel road at a cost of $1.50 per foot.
• he would like to have Office Manager Janet Linden and Office Assistant Carolyn Huerter attend a computer workshop for the Star program that they use. Commissioners agreed to this request.
Senior Services Director Fern Odum came before the board. She discussed with Commissioners issues at the Senior Center that she is having problems with, including the parking at the center.
Sheriff’s Report: Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that: • his department had a normal weekend this past weekend.
• the two new patrol cars have now been marked and radio installation has been completed.
• they are housing two inmates in the jail at this time.
Commissioners were made aware that there is a problem with poison ivy at one of the county’s abandoned cemeteries, the Stoldt Cemetery. Commissioners agreed to have the county’s Noxious Weed Department spray the poison ivy at this location.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for April 2012 as presented. The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
The board reviewed the minutes from the May 7, 2012 regular meeting and the May 7, 2012 special meeting with the City of Seneca. Tim Burdiek moved to approve both sets of minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad presented Commissioners with copies of an agreement for them to review that he drafted between Nemaha County and the City of Seneca for dispatch services. Following review, Chairman Mark Wessel signed the agreement as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 1:03 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:00 am.