— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
May 7, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 7, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he received written notice from Carolyn Jones that she is resigning her position in the Solid Waste Department effective May 18, 2012. Commissioners gave Dennis permission to advertise to fill this position.
- after reviewing the applications received for the bridge crew position in the Road and Bridge Department, he had decided upon the applicant he would like to hire. Dennis shared this application form with Commissioners. Following discussion, Commissioners advised Dennis to go ahead and offer the position to this person.
- the Road and Bridge guys have been doing repair jobs and hauling rock and chips for now.
- approximately 1,200 ton of 3-inch rock has been hauled for the KSI Conveyor’s road project.
Tim Burdiek moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 9:30 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners. The meeting returned to open session at 9:30 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- they are having problems with an air conditioning unit at the Law Enforcement Center. They will either need to replace the compressor in the unit or install a new unit.
- he will be attending training in Hutchinson this week.
- they are currently holding four inmates in the jail, with one inmate still being held in Osawatomie.
Alice Lackey with the Nemaha County Training Center came before the board to update Commissioners on the parking lot replacement at the Seneca training center location. Ms. Lackey stated that the project is finished and the new parking lot looks really nice.
Ms. Lackey reminded Commissioners that the parking lot at the Sabetha training center location needs to be replaced sometime as well.
Ms. Lackey presented packets to Commissioners containing NCTC board meeting minutes and agendas and let Commissioners know of upcoming fundraising events that the Nemaha County Training Center is holding.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed an agreement with Nemaha Valley Community Hospital stating that the hospital will provide health care services to low income individuals residing in their service area, which includes Nemaha County, Kansas.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 30, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed a quote from Zen-Tel, Inc. to install a new phone system at the courthouse at a cost of $28,373.00. Mark Wessel moved to approve the purchase of the new phone system through Zen-Tel, Inc. for $28,373.00 installed. The phone system will be paid for out of county capital outlay funds. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon called to let Commissioners know that the cost to replace the compressor in the air conditioning unit at the Law Enforcement Center will be about $1,200.00. The cost for a new unit will be about $3,600.00. The board advised Rich to proceed with getting a new unit installed.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Discussion was held concerning the special meeting to be held this evening at 8:00 pm at the Seneca City Hall with Seneca council members to discuss the cost to provide dispatch services for the City of Seneca.
Commissioners also discussed with Brad the development of a wind farm to be located in Nemaha County.
Brad discussed with Commissioners the possibility of hiring someone temporarily to fill in for his secretary while she is recovering from back surgery.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 12:40 pm. Commissioners will meet in special session Monday, May 7
th at 8:00 pm at Seneca City Hall with Seneca City council members to discuss the cost to provide dispatch services for the City of Seneca’s Police Department.