— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 30, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 30, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he got the liner ordered that was discussed last week and he also ordered more tubes to have on hand as well.
- the guys got started with blade patching last week.
- the guys have been hauling chips for upcoming road projects.
- they got a second lift of rock laid down on Wichman Road last week.
- they hope to be ready for 3-inch rock toward the end of this week for the KSI Conveyor’s road project.
- everything is going well at the transfer station right now.
- he received six applications for the position on the bridge crew recently advertised for. Commissioners reviewed the applications submitted. Dennis stated that he will be interviewing three of the applicants, and then will let Commissioners know who he prefers to hire.
- Solid Waste employee Carolyn Jones is here before Commissioners today to talk to them about working part-time instead of full-time at this time. Commissioners advised Carolyn that they feel they need a full-time employee in the department instead of a part-time employee. Carolyn stated that she would continue to work until the county was able to hire and train someone else for her position.
Nancy Gafford with Rural Development Association of Northeast Kansas and Paul Kaeb with KSI Conveyors, Inc. came before the board for the public hearing scheduled today for the proposed tax exemption on the recent expansion of KSI Conveyors, Inc. Chairman Mark Wessel called the hearing to order at 10:00 am. Ms. Gafford presented Commissioners with copies of the cost benefit analysis of the expansion project for them to review. With no public comment given, Chairman Mark Wessel closed the hearing at 10:10 am. Gary Scoby moved to adopt Resolution 2012-6 granting a ten year tax exemption on the expansion of KSI Conveyors, Inc. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Mark Wessel signed the resolution as presented.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- they are currently holding four inmates in the jail and one inmate is in Osawatomie at this time.
- they had an average weekend this past weekend.
- he met with the EMS Committee of the Seneca City Council to explain to them what services the county provides to the city in terms of dispatching services. Rich discussed with Commissioners how this meeting went and what was discussed.
Greg Visser, Fred Henry, and Ross Mosteller came before the board on behalf of the Nemaha County Fairboard to discuss improvements that they would like made at the fair grounds. The fairboard presented Commissioners with estimates from Hemi and from Haverkamps Construction to make the improvements discussed. The total cost for the project would be approximately $115,000.00. Commissioners approved the project as presented. The cost of the project will come from county capital outlay funds.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad informed Commissioners that he will no longer be representing the Kickapoo Indian Tribe. They have decided to terminate his contract at this time.
Brad and the board discussed providing dispatch services for the City of Seneca. Sheriff Rich Vernon joined this discussion as well.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the April 2012 warrants and pay vouchers as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 23, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
A letter of resignation was submitted from Julia Fuller in the Appraiser’s Office effective May 31, 2012.
Mark Wessel moved to hold a five minute executive session until 2:05 pm to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners. The meeting returned to open session at 2:05 pm with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart came before the board. He informed Commissioners that he will be hiring Kevin Burdiek and Logan Hiltibrand as summer help in the Noxious Weed Department. Kevin will be starting employment on June 1
st at $8.25/hour. Logan will be starting employment on May 28th
Todd also let Commissioners know that they got all the county sealed roadways sprayed for bind weed and are now starting on county gravel roadways as well.
Gary Scoby moved to approve appropriating $25,385.31 to Nemaha County Home Health and Hospice from the Henrietta and Leonard Broxterman Estate for the purchase of software and equipment.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 3:55 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:00 am.