— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
April 9, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 9, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- a couple of the Road and Bridge guys were issued overweight tickets coming out of the rock quarry in DuBois recently.
- the tube came in last week that was discussed at last week’s meeting.
- he had the Road and Bridge guys hauling chips last week, but they are back to hauling rock this week.
- he ordered the steel last week that the Commissioners signed off on earlier.
- Office Manager Janet Linden had a copy of the Road Supervisor’s Annual Report for 2011 for Commissioners to review.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
- the lease is up on the 2009 7130 John Deere tractor used in the Noxious Weed Department. Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to purchase the 7130 John Deere tractor for the Noxious Weed Department at a total cost of $20,262.08 to be paid out of the Noxious Weed Capitol Outlay fund. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- they will start spraying today for bind weed throughout the county.
- the Communications Grant recently awarded to the county is currently locked until certain items are completed, such as an environmental review, historical review, etc.
- Heinen Brothers has some generic remedy spray left over that Todd would like to purchase for county use. Commissioners agreed to this purchase.
- some labor and material from Eisenbarth Plumbing were charged to the Emergency Preparedness fund in error. Todd will leave this information with the Clerk’s Office for correction.
- he would like to see the county look at only paying for one maintenance contract with ArcView next year for the Emergency Preparedness Department, the Appraiser’s Office, and the Sheriff’s Office.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 2, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
Nancy Gafford with Rural Development Association of Northeast Kansas came before the board. She spoke to Commissioners about the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan that the City of Wetmore is trying to re-establish. Ms. Gafford stated that a public hearing is set for April 19
th for the plan to be considered. She will send a copy of the plan for Commissioners to review and approve after this public hearing.
Ms. Gafford stated that a final public hearing needs to be held for a ten year tax exemption for KSI Conveyor’s recent expansion project. Commissioners agreed to hold such public hearing on April 30
th at 10:00 am.
Ms. Gafford also stated that they are in the process of getting someone trained within their association as a grant administrator.
Maintenance employee Jennifer Melvin came before the board to ask Commissioners about having the Honeywell programmable system at the Pioneer Building updated. Commissioners asked Jennifer to have Phil Boeding with Eisenbarth Plumbing get an estimate for the cost to do this for them to review.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement for the quarter ending March 30, 2012 as presented and the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for March 2012 as presented as well.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had a quiet weekend this past weekend.
- Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum let him know that “No Thru Commercial Trucks” signs have been posted on 208
th Road as discussed previously with Commissioners.
- he is planning to attend the National Sheriff’s Conference in Tennessee in June again this year.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad stated that he recently upgraded to a smart phone. Payment for the new phone will come out of the Diversion Fund. Brad also stated that he will not be present during next week’s Commission meeting because he will be using some vacation time.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 12:35 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 16, 2012 at 9:00 am.