— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
March 26, 2012 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, March 26, 2012 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Wessel leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- Sondra Clark and Dawn Hueske with KDOT are here today to speak to Commissioners about the 2012 federal funds exchange program. Ms. Clark stated that with carry over from 2011 and the first distribution for 2012, Nemaha County has a total of $276,959.00 available in the federal funds exchange program. However, the State is not able at this time to pay out all that they owe to counties through this program, and so the amount available will be pro-rated for now. This makes the total funds available to the county at this time $163,967.00. Office Manager Janet Linden will be submitting paperwork to KDOT indicating the projects that the county would like to use this money for.
- he had a rough draft of the bridge design for Bridge J-1 south of Seneca. Dennis shared with Commissioners an estimate he received from Husker Steel to complete the center span of the bridge. The county will complete the rest of the bridge. Dennis stated that he will need to speak with Duane Mueting about getting a permit for building the new bridge.
Sonny Sagar with Manatron came before the board to speak with Commissioners about sending county department heads to Manatron’s upcoming User’s Conference in May in Wichita.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- he is considering putting money into a separate fund to be used to retain an attorney for an officer who is involved in a shooting. This attorney would only represent the officer in the initial stages of the investigation.
- he sent letters to the local funeral homes and doctors in the county concerning his desire to continue to use Frontier Forensics in Kansas City to perform autopsies in
Nemaha County at this time. Rich presented a copy of this letter to Commissioners.
• they are holding five inmates in the jail at this time. A female inmate is also being held in Jackson County that will be picked up and brought back to the Nemaha County jail.
• they are still in the process of switching cars out in the Sheriff’s Department.
County Treasurer Rose Wilhelm let Commissioners know that the State is asking the Treasurer’s Office to close to the public on April 5
th from 8 am – 9 am in order to test the new motor vehicle system that is tentatively set to go live May 1st.
Dan Henry came before the board. Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum was also present for this discussion. Mr. Henry stated that he would like to see K Road in Mitchell Township closed north of the Spook Hill Bridge. Commissioners advised Mr. Henry to talk to the Mitchell Township officials and start the process of closing this road.
Tim Burdiek moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 11:30 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum. At 11:30 am, Chairman Mark Wessel requested an additional five minutes in executive session. The meeting returned to open session at 11:35 am with Commissioners stating that Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum is now responsible for overseeing the Solid Waste Department effective immediately. This new responsibility includes a pay increase of $24,000.00 annually.
The board reviewed the minutes from the March 19, 2012 meeting. Gary Scoby moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Following discussion, Tim Burdiek moved to sign an engagement letter with Reese and Novelly, PA to complete the county’s 2011 audit. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Commissioners signed the engagement letter as presented.
Chairman Mark Wessel signed add/abate orders as presented.
Commissioners spoke by phone with Cleave Walstrom with Kinsley Mortuary concerning a bill submitted to Nemaha County for payment.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Mark Wessel adjourned the meeting at 3:25 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:00 am.