The following are the procedures for conducting the public hearings about closing the Bern & Summerfield schools in USD 113 Prairie Hills Public Schools. For details about the meetings please check these stories:
The Board of Education shall:
- Review what has been done to get patron input into process.
- There will be a presentation by representative of board (superintendent) on board’s proposal for closing.
- Review guidelines for public input:
- Written comments from patrons will be accepted
- Time limit on input (3 to 5 minutes) per person. A timekeeper will keep track of time for each speaker.
- Focus should be on whether the school building’s closing will improve the school system. Hearing is not a debate. It is a public hearing to present concerns, ideas and suggestions to the board.
- The board will listen to public comment.
- Board shall distribute blank sheets of paper (cards) to gather questions.
- Thank patrons for input and tell them what will happen next and when.
- The board shall consider all information from the testimony and evidence presented or submitted at the public hearing to determine whether the school building should be closed to improve the school system. This will be done at a later date as set by the board.