— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
December 12, 2011 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, December 12, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- he has three rock trucks running today and maintainers out today taking care of bad spots along county roads.
- he is in favor of purchasing the Caterpillar loader. He stated that he has an agreement worked out with the Caterpillar salesman to purchase the loader at a cost of $120,000.00. Following discussion, Mark Wessel moved to purchase the Cat 938H loader at a cost of $120,000.00. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- Office Manager Janet Linden has received a right of way easement request from Pottawatomie County Rural Water District #3. They would like to bore under county roads and township roads in Neuchatel Township. Neuchatel Township officials are aware of this request. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the right of way easement with Pottawatomie County Rural Water District #3. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the right of way easement request as presented.
- they need to update the Road and Bridge Department drug testing policy before the first of the year. Dennis asked Commissioners about keeping Solid Waste Department employees on this policy or if they should be on their own policy. No decision was made concerning this issue at this time.
Solid Waste Report:
Solid Waste Director Doug Jeanneret advised the board that:
- he wanted to introduce his new employee, Max Stallbaumer, to Commissioners. Max will replace Stan Feldkamp in the Solid Waste Department and will start work today for the county.
- he has someone who would like to purchase a roll-off recycling bin from the county. Doug stated that he does not anticipate needing this bin. The board agreed to allow Doug to sell the recycling bin for $2,000.00. Doug stated that he would like to use some of this money to purchase two or three more dumpsters to use in places throughout the county. Commissioners advised Doug to get bids for them to review for the new dumpsters.
Mark Wessel moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 9:45 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners. The meeting returned to open session at 9:45 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
The board reviewed the minutes from the December 5, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
District Magistrate Judge Steve Deiter came before the board to talk to Commissioners about getting phone service in the secondary courtroom at the courthouse. The board stated that they would follow up on this issue.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- his department had an active weekend with several people going to jail.
- they are currently holding five inmates in the jail.
County Treasurer Rose Wilhelm, Sheriff Rich Vernon, Appraiser Betty Roeder, Senior Services Director Fern Odum, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum, Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart, Register of Deeds Roxann Holthaus, County Attorney Brad Lippert, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans came before the board for a Nemaha County Department Head meeting to discuss changes that Commissioners are considering for the 2012 Reorganization. Discussion was held concerning changing the date when vacation time must be used down to the 100 hour carry over allowed. Discussion was also held concerning a pay raise for county employees for 2012. No decision was made concerning these issues at this time.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners talked to Brad about what needed to be done to open a road in Neuchatel Township. Chairman Tim Burdiek stated that he would talk to the Neuchatel Township officials concerning this and then get back to Brad so that he can get started with the paperwork required to open a road within the county.
County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans made the board aware of an issue with the maintenance of 72nd Road in Home Township between F and G Road (also known as the Centralia Lake Road). Chairman Tim Burdiek stated that he would look into this issue further. County Attorney Brad Lippert also advised Commissioners to go out and view the road in question as well.
The board also spoke with County Attorney Brad Lippert concerning the Emergency Red Light Permit Application submitted by David Rethman.
Kevin Kramer came before the board to ask Commissioners about holding a tractor pull in the horse arena on the fair grounds. Part of this property is owned by the City of Seneca and part by Nemaha County. Mr. Kramer stated that the city has already given him permission to hold the tractor pull, but told him that he also needed to get permission from the county. The board made no decision concerning this issue at this time.
The Commissioners spoke to Auditor Mike Peroo about amending the 2011 budget for the Road and Bridge Department and the Noxious Weed Department. Mr. Peroo will review these funds and complete the paperwork necessary to amend the budget. This paperwork should be published in this week’s issue of the Courier-Tribune.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed add/abate orders as presented.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
The board reviewed the Nemaha County 2011 Reorganization and suggested changes they would like made to the document for 2012.
Mark Wessel moved to hold a twenty minute executive session until 3:00 pm to discuss land acquisition. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners. The meeting returned to open session at 3:00 pm with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Tim Burdiek moved to adopt Resolution 2011-14 to cause the financial statements and financial reports of Nemaha County, Kansas for the year ending December 31, 2011 to be prepared on the basis of cash receipts and disbursements. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 4:20 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, December 19, 2011 at 9:00 am.