MARYSVILLE USD #364
Regular Board Meeting Highlights
July 13, 2011
• Elected Kevin Samuelson as President of the Board of Education for 2011-12.
• Elected Sandy Wilson as Vice-President of the Board for 2011-12.
• Appointed Lucy West as Clerk of the Board, Cathy Yager as Deputy Clerk, and Jody Bruna as Treasurer.
• Appointed the law firm of Bolton & McNish at the rate of $70 per hour for legal services.
• Appointed the Superintendent to be the authorized district representative for all state and federal programs including liaison for homeless children and youth.
• Appointed Lucy West as Designated Agent for KPERS.
• Authorized Citizens State Bank and Trust Company of Bremen, United Bank & Trust, Citizens State Bank, First Commerce Bank, and Great Western Bank of Marysville, as designated depositories for district funds.
• Set the 2011-12 school year at 1,116 hours.
• Named the Marysville Advocate as the official district newspaper.
• Designated Mike Bodensteiner the Director of the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center (Greenbush) as the person who will verify that in-service credit is valid for license renewal.
• Appointed the Board President as hearing officer for free and reduced price meal application appeals.
• Appointed the Superintendent as the hearing officer to conduct due process hearings for student long term suspensions or expulsions.
• Appointed Laura Johnson-McNish or Darold Bolton as the hearing officer to hear appeals in student expulsion cases.
• Appointed Administrators as Attendance Officers.
• Appointed the Superintendent as Freedom Information Officer.
• Designated John Runnebaum as the person to ensure that asbestos federal requirements are properly implemented.
• Approved the proposed 2011-12 budget for publication.
• Set the budget hearing date as August 10, 2011 at 6:00 p.m.
• Set the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 P.M. in the Dr. William J. Oborny Media Center as the date, time, and place of the regular board meetings.
• Adopted resolutions authorizing building principals to be in charge of building activity funds for Marysville Junior/Senior High, and Marysville Elementary.
• Adopted resolutions authorizing petty cash accounts for the superintendent, high school, junior high and elementary schools.
• Adopted a resolution for destruction of records.
• Reviewed a budget report showing the current budget spent compared to budget spent for the last two years.
• Accepted the escalator bid of Robert’s Dairy to provide milk to the district for the 2011-12 school year.
• Accepted the following donations:
o Received $1,600.00 in various donations for the wrestling room.
o Received $678 from the Chapter BB, P.E.O Sisterhood, through the Stockard Charitable Trust to purchase two document cameras at Marysville Elementary.
Marysville USD #364
Board Meeting Highlights
• Approved the Food Service Agreements with the State Department of Education, and St. Gregory’s and Good Shepherd Schools.
• Approved a motion to transfer $734 cash balance from Adult Education (which is no longer needed) to 4 Year Old At-Risk fund.
• Citizens Open Forum – Angie Johnson addressed the board asking them to consider a written policy that teachers have first priority of coaching positions over rule 10 coaches.
• Change vacation days for the Director of Maintenance to 12 days from 10 days.
• Declared old furniture as surplus for discard.
• Approved the Senior High and Elementary Handbooks as presented, and tentatively approved the Junior High Handbook.
• Mrs. Harmer handed out Athlete-Parent-Coach Relationship brochures.
• Mr. Thexton gave a finance report on new budget laws.
• Appointed Cindy Scarbrough, Junior High Principal as Athletic/Activities Director also.
• Appointed Jada Ackerman and Sonya Stohs to the Special Education Advisory Council.
• Appointed Kevin Samuelson as the Governmental Relations Representative with KASB.
• Appointed Kevin Samuelson and Sandy Wilson to the USD 364 Foundation Board of Directors.
• Appointed Todd Milner to the Partners In Education Board.
• Appointed Betty Temple and Michelle Reinhart, with Sandy Wilson as the alternate, to the Negotiation Team.
• Approved a motion to rescind all previous board policies and approve the 2011-12 Board of Education Policies.
• Set the district mileage reimbursement at $.50 per mile and that no in town mileage be reimbursed, nor mileage if a vehicle is available to travel out of town.
• Increased lunch prices by $.25 and increased milk prices by $.05.
• Approved a motion to charge students a $5 technology fee to be added to the enrollment fee.
• Approved a motion to continue to sponsor voluntary student accident insurance through Students Assurance Services.
• Approved a renewal contract with Partners in Behavioral Milestones, Inc.
• Approved the following extra duty appointments:
o Amy Renyer – Head JH Volleyball
o Deb Blumer – Assistant JH Volleyball
o David Heyd- 9th Boys Basketball
o David Heyd- Head Baseball
• General Discussion:
o New Teacher Reception is August 10th at 5:30 p.m.
o Asked Superintendent Thexton to check into cost of an employee BBQ.
o School starts August 18th for students. No time change.