The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• Noxious Weed employee Matt Boeckman is interested in the position of mechanic in the Road and Bridge Department. Dennis stated that this is who he would like to hire for this position. Matt will start work in the Road and Bridge Department tomorrow at a pay rate of $14.00 per hour. Dennis stated that he would like to re-evaluate after three months however.
• the price for the same road oil used last year has increased in cost to $2.95 a gallon plus $0.28 per gallon for freight.
• they did not get the remaining 1 ½ miles tore up on the Goff-Oneida Road yet.
• they were able to get some dirt hauled in order to finish up the bridge project on Bridge Q-16.
• he would like to fill the Road Foreman position in his department created earlier. He would like to put Pat Schmelzle in this position for rebuild projects only with no wage difference right now. Commissioners agreed to the appointment.
Office Manager Janet Linden presented the board the bill received from Brown County for Nemaha County’s share of the cost to chip and seal Old Highway 75. The bill was in the amount of $35,229.78.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
• he has ordered the decals for the new emergency management truck. The decals will cost $350.00 applied.
• the State of Kansas approved the county’s mitigation plan, but FEMA would like some items revised in the plan. Todd stated that Steve Duryea is working on making the changes that FEMA requested.
• they did not receive any funding through the Assistant Firefighters Grant that was applied for earlier. Todd stated that they will be reapplying for this grant again at a later date.
• he will get an advertisement to the paper to be published next week seeking applications for an employee for the Noxious Weed Department.
Solid Waste Report:
Solid Waste Director Doug Jeanneret advised the board that:
• he was still trying to figure out what to do with the Peterbuilt truck in his department that they had discussed selling at an earlier meeting. Commissioners advised Doug to look into trading this truck for a good straight truck for his department.
• he would like Terry Cardwell in his department to have a cell phone to use while on the road. Commissioners made no decision concerning this issue at this time.
• he picked up the new water pump Saturday morning and it seems to be working really well.
Doug and the Commissioners discussed the wage scale in the reorganization that his employees would follow.
Gary Satter, Carol Hughes, Nancy Gafford, and David Key with Glacial Hills Enterprise came before the board to update Commissioners on recent activities concerning their organization and to request funding for their organization from Nemaha County. Glacial Hills Enterprise is requesting $2,000.00 for 2012. They are also requesting $2,000.00 each year for 2011 and 2010 and $1,000.00 for 2009.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• the Fourth of July weekend was a normal holiday weekend for his department.
• he recently attended the National Sheriff’s Conference in St. Louis which was very informative and beneficial.
• Tim Huninghake, relief officer for the Sheriff’s Department, has recently resigned. Rich stated that he plans to hold off on hiring someone to replace him at this time.
• they are currently holding seven inmates in the jail.
• they had a water line break last Friday at the Law Enforcement Center, but were able to get the break repaired quickly with no other damage being done.
Nancy Gafford, David Key, Jerry Gifford, and Doug Allen with Rural Development Association of Northeast Kansas came before the board to request funding for 2012 from Nemaha County. The group requested an increase over last year’s funding of $25,000.00 for 2012. The group informed Commissioners that Virginia Dienstbier has retired from RDA effective June 30th and that they have been meeting with Jackson County officials about serving Jackson County as well as Nemaha County in their rural economic development needs.
Senior Services Director Fern Odum came before the board to inform Commissioners that Francis Rottinghaus will be returning to work after being gone due to health issues. Fern requested an executive session with the board to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby moved to hold a five minute executive session until 11:00 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Fern Odum. At 11:00 am, Chairman Tim Burdiek requested an additional five minutes in executive session. The meeting returned to open session at 11:05 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
David Elsbury with Kanza Mental Health and Guidance Center came before the board to request funding for 2012 from Nemaha County. He is requesting $59,007.00 for 2012 for this entity, which represents a 2% increase over their 2011 funding from the county. Mr. Elsbury also informed Commissioners that the rate charged for services provided to inmates at the jail through Kanza Mental Health and Guidance Center would increase from $35.00 per hour to $50.00 per hour effective for the contract period beginning January 1, 2012.
Mark Wessel moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 12:00 pm to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners. The meeting returned to open session at 12:00 pm with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Sheriff Rich Vernon came back before the board to clarify to Commissioners when his office requests services from Kanza Mental Health and Guidance Center for inmates.
Commissioners made a phone call to Senior Services Director Fern Odum to inform her that they do not wish to hire an additional employee as office help for her department. Fern came back before the board to inform them that she will be cutting back the hours she puts in at the office and only working regular eight hour work days in the future. She wanted Commissioners to be aware that she might not get all of the required paperwork turned in by the deadlines set by the State. Commissioners assured Fern that this would not reflect badly on her job performance in their eyes and that they would not terminate her employment with the county based on this issue.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Commissioners stated that they would like more time to review the Drug and Alcohol Policy presented by Brad at last week’s meeting before discussing this policy with Brad. Brad made the board aware that he had received an updated ambulance service contract agreement with Techs, Inc. to review. Brad and Commissioners will review the new agreement and discuss at next week’s meeting.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the end of the month. Mark Wessel moved to approve the pay vouchers and warrants for June 2011. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed the minutes from the June 27, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Discussion was held concerning ambulance service in Nemaha County.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed add/abate orders as presented.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the Statement of Values through EMC Insurance Companies effective July 1, 2011 as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 3:40 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 9:00 am.