— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
July 25, 2011 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, July 25, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also was Commissioner Mark Wessel, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes. Commissioner Gary Scoby was absent from today’s meeting.
Road and Bridge Report:
Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- they finished sealing county roads last week. Dennis stated that so far he is very satisfied with the oil that was used this year in the chip and seal process.
- the guys in the department will be hauling rock near Wetmore this week, and may also haul rock on the Goff-Oneida Road this week as well. Dennis stated that he has the guys dragging county roads right now too.
- he ordered several 18 inch tubes last week.
- the bridge crew is working on widening the box and pouring the new floor of Bridge G-5 in Gilman Township. They will also work on widening the top of this bridge as well.
- he will be gone the rest of this week on vacation.
Solid Waste Report:
Solid Waste Director Doug Jeanneret advised the board that:
- he feels that his 2012 budgets for the Recycling Department and the Solid Waste Department can stay the same as for 2011.
- he still wants to sell the Peterbuilt truck in his department. Commissioners advised Doug to try to sell the truck outright. Doug stated that he would like to replace this truck with a roll-off truck. He discussed with Commissioners the purchase of a 2003 Mack truck that is for sale right now through McPherson Demolition. They are asking $80,000 for this truck. The board advised Doug to talk with the Road and Bridge mechanic about the engine in this truck and get back to them with this information.
- he wanted to know what the Commissioners were thinking in terms of purchasing a D-8K bulldozer for his department as discussed at last week’s meeting. The board stated that they had not made a decision concerning this at this time, but that they would be discussing the issue further at next week’s meeting when Commissioner Gary Scoby would be present as well.
- he would like to put in a window on the south side of the building at the Recycling Center in which the baler is run. They need to get some air to run
through the building during the hot summer months. Commissioners agreed to this request.
The board reviewed the minutes from the July 18, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved to approve the minutes as presented. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
- he is currently working on his budget proposal for 2012 to present to the Commissioners.
- his department had an active week this past week.
- his department is investigating a fairly good sized burglary in the county right now.
- they are currently holding ten inmates. Two of these inmates are females that are being held in the Marshall County jail due to the fact that Rich is currently holding a juvenile in the Nemaha County jail.
- he would like to hold an executive session with Commissioners. Mark Wessel moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 10:35 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 10:35 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
- Andy Emert with Audio Unlimited will be preparing a quote for the equipment needed in the meeting room of the Pioneer Building. Such equipment will include a 55 inch flat screen TV, a projector, and a pull down screen.
- the Nemaha County Emergency Management Department has now been officially certified by the Kansas Emergency Management Association. Todd and Assistant Emergency Manager Steve Duryea received this certification by completing online criteria for this award.
The board reviewed pay vouchers and warrants submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad presented Commissioners with an amendment that he had drafted to the Lease Agreement with the Kansas Department of Revenue for office space for the Driver’s License Station located in Seneca. Following review of the amendment, Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the lease agreement and attached amendment as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 2:50 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, August 1, 2011 at 9:00 am.