— These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
July 18, 2011 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, July 18, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
- they did not quite finish sealing the Onaga Road last week. They will finish this road and work on sealing other roads on the schedule for this year during this next week.
- they received a new bill from Brown County for our share of the cost to chip and seal Old Highway 75. Office Manager Janet Linden gave a copy of the new bill to Commissioners. The bill had been corrected and was now in the amount of $17,614.89.
- they had received information from Hamm’s Quarry concerning an increase in the price of rock. Janet presented copies of this information to Commissioners.
- the Road and Bridge Department’s equipment sheets have been updated. Commissioners were given copies of the new equipment sheets.
Solid Waste Report:
Solid Waste Director Doug Jeanneret advised the board that:
- he would like to install doors in the transfer station where they dump into the compactor to prevent someone from accidentally falling down into the dump area. Commissioners agreed that this would be a good idea.
- he was concerned about employees becoming injured while working near the C&D pit due to inappropriate footwear. Commissioners informed Doug that he needed to set his own policy on footwear that could or could not be worn at work for his employees.
- he would like to get a heavier dozer to use to do the necessary dirt work at the C&D pit. They are currently using a D7 model, but would like to purchase a used D8 model possibly with a ripper installed on the back of the dozer. Following discussion, Commissioners advised Doug to look around for one and let them know what kind of deal he could get for this.
The board spoke to Carl Mauersberger by phone concerning an issue that occurred in Granada Township. He wanted Commissioners to be aware that someone tried to load up and take old electric poles off of his property over the weekend. He is working with the
Sheriff’s Office to resolve the issue, but wanted Commissioners to know that some of the poles have been returned and were dumped into a pile in a drainage ditch near his residence. He was concerned that if the poles were not moved, they would obstruct the water flow and damage the tube at this location. The board stated that they would speak to the Sheriff about the issue.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for June 2011 and the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement for the quarter ending June 30, 2011 as presented.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed add/abate orders as presented.
Undersheriff Bob Cross advised the board that:
- they will follow up with the complaint filed by Carl Mauersberger and hopefully get this issue resolved soon.
- the Sheriff’s Department had a pretty basic week last week including a traffic stop that resulted in a drug arrest, a fatality accident over the weekend in the Sabetha area, two theft cases over the weekend, and dealing with a suicidal individual over the weekend.
- they are currently holding seven inmates in the jail and two female inmates in the Marshall County jail.
Dean Rial and Richard Schmitz with the Nemaha County Historical Society came before the board to request funding for 2012 from Nemaha County. They provided a copy of their most recent financial statement to Commissioners and stated that were in need of operational money. They stated that they would appreciate any amount that the county could fund for their organization in 2012.
Alice Lackey with the Nemaha County Training Center came before the board to make the annual budget request for 2012 for NCTC, and to present Commissioners with minutes and agendas from NCTC board meetings and a copy of the most recent financial statement for NCTC. Ms. Lackey is requesting $105,000.00 in funding for 2012, which is an increase of $25,000.00 compared to what was provided by the county in 2011. Ms. Lackey also requested that Commissioners increase the mill levy of the Sheltered Workshop fund to help cover the cost to repair the parking lots at the training center facilities in Sabetha and Seneca. The current mill levy of the Sheltered Workshop fund is set at .017 mills.
The board reviewed the minutes from the July 11, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the middle of the month.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 12:55 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, July 25, 2011 at 9:00 am.