The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
• Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum made Commissioners aware that Jason Fulkerson was involved in an accident last week with a county vehicle. He left the bed of the rock truck he was driving up while pulling away, catching a power line with the bed and pulling it down and breaking it in two.
• Dennis advised that the bottom of a tube along the Onaga Road is starting to rust out. He asked Commissioners what they thought about putting a liner in the tube instead of replacing the tube at this time. He stated that an aluminum liner for the tube would cost $17.50 per foot. The board agreed that this would be a good idea.
• Dennis reported that he will be having the guys drag roads today and work on blade patching this week.
Donnie Bonjour came before the board to ask Commissioners about a fence maintenance issue. Commissioners answered Mr. Bonjour’s questions and stated that the property owner would have to request a fence view if this was desired in this instance.
The board reviewed the minutes from the May 23, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
• Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that his department had an active Memorial Day weekend. He stated that they are currently holding nine in the jail.
• Rich let Commissioners know that the AHRS project at the jail is complete and that the final bill for the project came to $38,490.00. Rich stated that this will be paid out of capital outlay monies.
• Rich also let Commissioners know that the Sheriff’s Department will be changing the date of their annual fun day to later on in the summer, and may possibly move the event to the Nemaha County Community Building in Seneca as well.
Solid Waste Director Doug Jeanneret and Transfer Station Manager Diane Sowers came before the board. Mark Wessel moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 10:45 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Doug Jeanneret, and Diane Sowers. The meeting returned to open session at 10:45 am with Gary Scoby making a motion to create the position of Assistant Solid Waste Director at a pay rate of $14.35 per hour. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. The board decided to appoint Diane Sowers to this position effective June 1, 2011.
The Commissioners also spoke to Doug about installing a new heater/air conditioner unit at the Recycling Office at the landfill. The board decided to keep the new unit that had already been ordered and informed Doug that he would be responsible for installing the unit.
Jim Runnebaum with SBS Insurance Agency came before the board. Mr. Runnebaum presented Commissioners with copies of the county’s insurance renewal for the next fiscal year beginning July 1, 2011 for them to review. He went over any recent changes made to the document. No decision was made concerning renewing the insurance package at this time.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed a Neighborhood Revitalization Rebate Application submitted for the 2010 tax year.
The board reviewed warrants and pay vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the end of the month. Mark Wessel moved to approve the warrants and pay vouchers for May 2011 as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the Plan Sponsor Signature Page accepting the federal regulation changes being made to the county’s Nationwide Retirement Solutions Plan.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 2:40 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, June 6, 2011 at 9:00 am.