The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 11, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
• Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that the State of Kansas would like the county to sign off on bridge BF-1 which was recently completed in Richmond Township. Commissioners signed the document as presented.
• Dennis informed the board that a representative with Husker Steel contacted him to let him know that they will be shipping part of a truckload of steel to Lawrence soon and wanted to know if Dennis needed anything so that they could fill out this load. Dennis advised Commissioners that he did not think that the county needed to order any steel at this time, especially at the price quoted by Husker Steel.
• Dennis stated that he has guys hauling rock at this time and that he also has a bridge crew starting on bridge Q-28 located between sections 4 & 9 of Neuchatel Township.
• Dennis reported that Hall Brothers are set up and ready to go at the Beattie Junction and that, weather cooperating, he would like to get started soon with blade patching.
• Gary Scoby talked to Dennis about possible grant money available for infrastructure. The board will speak further with Rural Development Association concerning this issue.
Commissioners reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
Aaron Etzkorn with 360 Energy Solutions came before the board to update them on the facility energy conservation project being completed at the county. He stated that at this time, the project is still on schedule to be completed by May 1, 2011.
• Sheriff Rich Vernon advised Commissioners that his department had an average weekend.
• Gary Scoby moved to hold a fifteen minute executive session until 10:25 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 10:25 am with no action taken by the board following the executive session.
Bruce Boettcher and Tom Bennett with BG Consultants; Transfer Station Manager Diane Sowers and Transfer Station employee Richard Sudbeck; and Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum came before the board to discuss issues with the county landfill. Mr. Boettcher stated that KDHE raised concerns after recently inspecting the landfill and would like an engineer more involved in the administration of certain projects completed at the landfill. He also stated that KDHE is requiring that an engineer file a report after the completion of projects at the landfill and submit this report to them. Commissioners gave Mr. Boettcher the go ahead to start surveying and putting together a plan at the landfill for them to review. He will meet with the board again in about a month to present the plan and explain the county’s options. Commissioners also asked Mr. Boettcher to deal with issues raised by KDHE concerning October 2010 groundwater sampling while he is surveying the landfill.
Mark Wessel moved to hold a five minute executive session until 11:45 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Recycling Director Matt McFall. The meeting returned to open session at 11:45 am. Mark Wessel made a motion to terminate Matt McFall’s employment with Nemaha County. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Recycling Department employee Stan Feldkamp came before the board. Commissioners spoke to Stan about the department employees handling things at the Recycling Center on their own for now until they are able to hire a new director. They also spoke to Stan about purchasing additional dumpsters for the Recycling Department, but decided against purchasing the dumpsters at this time.
The board reviewed the minutes from the April 4, 2011 meeting and the April 8, 2011 canvass. Mark Wessel moved to approve both sets of minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the Nemaha County Quarterly Financial Statement for the quarter ending March 31, 2011 as presented.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed add/abate orders as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek adjourned the meeting at 2:25 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, April 18, 2011 at 9:00 am.