Unified School District #451
Board of Education
February 14, 2011
The regular meeting of the U.S.D. #451 Board of Education was called to order Monday, February 14, 2011 by President Dale Sudbeck at 7:30 p.m. Alan Schmitz, Steve Sudbeck, Nick Holthaus, Jim Dalinghaus, John Haug, and Martin Haug answered roll call. Also attending were Jerry Turner, Julie Kohake, and Carol Hunninghake.
Alan Schmitz made a motion to approve the minutes of the January 12, 2011 regular meeting as presented. Dale Sudbeck seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0
Martin Haug made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. John Haug seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0
Jerry Turner’s superintendent report included: state Scholars’ Bowl meet, county spelling bee results, Shrine Bowl selection, and the FBLA results.
Board members heard an update on the January 17, 2011 interim board meeting.
Jim Dalinghaus made a motion to accept the general fund, activity fund financial reports, treasurer’s report, claims and payroll for the month of February. Nick Holthaus seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0
The board tabled the approval of the Memorandum of Understanding agreement with Sacred Heart Parish and St. Mary’s Parish.
Discussion items included: a review of the Marshall-Nemaha County Educational Services Cooperative agreement, making up snow days if needed, KASB meeting at Marysville February 16, and the USD 115 proposed school calendar for 2011-2012.
Steve Sudbeck made a motion to offer and approve a contract for Scott Brumbaugh as the driver’s education instructor for the summer program at $20.03/hr. Alan Schmitz seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0
Dale Sudbeck made a motion to accept the donation of $66 from the Seneca Janes Shoot Out contest. Martin Haug seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0
The superintendent discussed a date for a special meeting in February to approve the Resolutions to non-renew all certified personnel with USD 451 as USD 451 will cease to exist as of June 30, 2011.
Students, teachers, coaches, and sponsors were recognized:
• Congratulations to the Scholars’ Bowl team and sponsors Joan Buessing and Laurie Stallbaumer as they placed 6th at the state competition in LeRoy.
• Caitlyn Kohake placed 2nd in the county spelling bee to qualify to participate in the state spelling bee.
• Logan Haug was selected to participate in the Shrine Bowl.
• FBLA as a team placed 2nd over all with 12 teams at the FBLA District contest. A total of 44 students qualified for the state FBLA contest.
• Jr. High girls and boys basketball teams and coaches Deb Kramer and Ben Scism were commended on their seasons.
• The senior class and sponsor Julie Kohake were recognized for their performance of the senior play.
John Haug made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m. with the next regular meeting scheduled March 14, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. Jim Dalinghaus seconded the motion; motion carried. 7-0