The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, March 14, 2011 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Tim Burdiek leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Mark Wessel and Gary Scoby, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
• Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that he had his guys take the salt and sand spreaders off of their trucks and begin hauling rock this past week.
• Dennis stated that he spoke briefly with Marshall County about a box bridge that needs to be repaired and about a low water crossing that needs to be fixed. He let Commissioners know that he will meet with Marshall County at a later time to discuss these issues further.
• Dennis discussed with the board the safety meeting being held tomorrow at Valentino’s.
• Dennis advised Commissioners that Murphy Tractor will be bringing up a patrol for demo for the safety meeting and will also be bringing the backhoe that was recently purchased by the county as well.
• Office Manager Janet Linden gave the board a job application that was received last week for them to review.
• Dennis informed Commissioners that he would like to update cell phones in the Road and Bridge Department. He stated that his has not been working right and that they have also been having trouble getting payments credited with Verizon Wireless. He stated that he may look at going through US Cellular this time instead of through Verizon Wireless. The board advised Dennis to use his best judgment and go ahead and get what he wanted.
• Chairman Tim Burdiek opened sealed bids received for a one ton pickup for the Road and Bridge Department. Honeyman Ford bid $24,659.00 for a 2011 Ford F-350 one ton pickup. Aberle Ford bid $24,400.00 for a 2011 Ford F-350 one ton pickup. Commissioners asked Dennis to review the bids and let them know what he thinks.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of the month.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for February 2011.
Road and Bridge employee Dale Dorsch came before Commissioners to speak to them about the possibility of taking extra time off over and above what he has built up. He asked if this could this be done if he received no pay during this time and if he paid his own insurance during this time. The board stated that they did not want to get this started and would not allow this.
• Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that his department had an interesting weekend including working with the City of Sabetha doing search warrants involving a meth lab. He advised that they are now holding fourteen here and one in Jackson County.
• Rich stated that he has not received a start date from AHRS Construction yet for work to be done at the jail.
• Rich discussed with Commissioners the process that would need to be followed when the county switches over to narrow band radios.
• Recycling Committee member Doug Jeanneret was present at the meeting to inform the board that the drug incinerator had been ordered.
Commissioners left the meeting room at approximately 10:30 am to look at the condition of the parking lots at the training center locations in Seneca and Sabetha and to take a look at the condition of several county roads. The board met with NCTC Director Alice Lackey at both training center location parking lots and discussed with her the repairs needing to be made. Commissioners stated that they will ask for quotes to do the repair work on the parking lots. They will look at ripping up and replacing the parking lot in Sabetha, but only filling in the lot in Seneca for now. The board viewed several county roads including Woodlawn Road, the Bern-Sabetha Road, Church Road, Old Highway 36, and Wichman Road. Commissioners also stopped at the Nemaha County Landfill to look at the C&D pit and the Recycling Center. The board returned to the meeting room at approximately 1:30 pm.
County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans spoke to the board about a complaint received from Judge Weingart concerning the bright sunlight coming into the courtroom since blinds have not been put back up after the windows were replaced in this room.
County Treasurer Rose Wilhelm requested that she be allowed to give Kim Bontrager a 3-month step raise. Commissioners agreed to this request.
Rose also requested that blinds be put back up in her office.
The board reviewed the minutes from the March 7, 2011 meeting. Mark Wessel moved
to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion
carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Tim Burdiek signed lease agreements with NEK-CAP Head Start and Kanza
Mental Health and Guidance Center for utilizing office space in the Pioneer Building.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Tim Burdiek
adjourned the meeting at 2:30 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on
Monday, March 21, 2011 at 9:00 am.