Fire destroyed a large horse barn north of Waterville midday Monday. Waterville and Blue Rapids Fire Departments responded to the David Smerchek farm located at 422 Temple Road. A large horse barn was completely engulfed destroying thousands of dollars in horse tack and related equipment.
The barn was a total loss and one horse did have to be euthanized due to its injuries. According to Marshall County Sheriff Hargrave Smerchek reported he had a heater running in the barn and left it unattended. Hargrave stated that he believed the heater was the source of the fire.