*Unofficial and not proofed*
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, November 8, 2010 in the Commission Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Tim Burdiek and Mark Wessel, Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Janet Linden, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge Report:
- Road and Bridge Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that they finished up the bank work being done at a location along the Onaga Road where a new house is being built.
- Dennis reported that a tube needs to be replaced along the Nightingale Turnpike.
- Dennis stated that he has guys hauling rock today on the Parallel Road.
- Commissioner Scoby let Dennis know that some holes need to be repaired along the Fidelity Road.
- The board accepted the resignation of Jerry Morrison as Assistant Road Supervisor effective November 8, 2010. Jerry will be taking a position as grader operator for Nemaha County at the pay rate of $14.51 per hour. The board signed his resignation statement as presented.
- Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that Undersheriff Bob Cross was involved in a work related car accident last week. Rich reported that Bob is in good condition, but his patrol car was totaled. The accident occurred at the intersection of 160th and R Road with the driver of the other vehicle being arrested for a DUI. Rich stated that Nemaha Valley Motors is currently looking for a used Chrylser to replace Bob’s patrol car.
- Rich reported that the Sheriff’s Office had an active week last week.
- Gary Scoby moved to hold a ten minute executive session until 9:35 am to discuss non-elected personnel. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners and Sheriff Rich Vernon. The meeting returned to open session at 9:35 am. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the creation of a jail administrative position within the Sheriff’s Office that would be effective immediately. Rich stated that the position would pay $1.00 over base pay (which is $15.87 per hour) and would be assigned to a current employee of the Sheriff’s Office. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
- Rich let the board know that Bob Cross was checked out at the hospital the night of the accident and that this claim will go through the county’s workman’s compensation program.
Joe Hurla, Aaron Eskorn, and Scott McVey with 360 Energy Solutions came before the board. They reviewed with the board the project summary for the energy conservation project proposed by 360 Energy Solutions. They also reviewed with the board the bids received for replacing the boiler and chiller, lighting, and windows at different county buildings.
Kevin Ward and Michael Hines with Trane Commercial Systems came before the board to speak to Commissioners about the fiscal and financial stability of companies proposing to serve as the overall general contractor for the energy conservation project being considered by the county. Mr. Ward and Mr. Hines also questioned the board about having 360 Energy Solutions as the county’s consultant and facilitator of the ESCO selection process while this company was also competing in the ESCO selection process to be the county’s ESCO for the energy conservation project being considered by the county.
Mark Wessel moved to recess the meeting until the completion of the November 2nd General Election Canvass. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
After completing the canvass of votes for the November 2, 2010 General Election, Commissioners resumed their regular meeting at 4:30 pm.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid the middle of the month.
The board reviewed the minutes from the November 1, 2010 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Mark Wessel seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Chairman Gary Scoby signed the Clerk’s Monthly Fees Report for October 2010 as presented.
The board reviewed the bids received by companies interested in serving as the ESCO for the energy conservation project being considered by Commissioners for county buildings.
Mark Wessel made a motion to allow Rainbow Communications to make a donation to the Community Food Pantry in Sabetha on behalf of Nemaha County. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Gary Scoby adjourned the meeting at 8:25 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, November 22, 2010 at 9:00 am. The Commission will not meet on Monday, November 15, 2010 since Commissioners will be attending the KAC Conference in Overland Park from November 14th – November 16th.