If you didn’t know, this week is National Public Safety Telecommunications Week, a week designated to honor those who perform dispatching duties for law enforcement.
The Kansas Highway Patrol reminds us, when a member of the public or an officer needs help during an emergency, dispatchers become their lifeline, ensuring that the appropriate assistance is contacted and en route to whatever the situation might be.
Here are some tips for calling in an emergency:
• Stay calm.
• Know the location.
• If the dispatcher request you pause for a moment, do so.
• If you reach a recording, listen to what it says.
• Let the call-taker guide the conversation.
• Keep your eyes open. You may be asked to describe victims, suspects, vehicles, or other parts of the scene.
• Do not hang up the call until directed to do so by the call-taker.