The Marysville USD #364 Board of Education met in regular session on April 12th. The following is a highlight of actions taken by the Board of Education.
• FBLA students Stephanie Martin and Gabby Mathy (team member David Glowacki was unable to attend) gave a digital video production presentation on Store Security. FBLA students Kelsey Koerperich, Morgan Reinhart, and Taylor Wilson gave a business presentation on becoming a Business Teacher. Their sponsor is Lynn Kracht.
• Jenny Thayer-Wood gave a presentation on the African Dust Workshop that she has been invited to attend in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico June 20-26, 2010. Millie Laughlin will be attending also.
• Accepted the following donations:
o Received $200 from Dennis McGuire.
o Received batteries from Walmart that have been broke open and that would normally be tossed out. The total dollar amount of this donation added up to $64.43.
o Received $25 from Houtz Agency, Inc for Camp Invention.
o Received $75 from Cody Smith Insurance Agency for Camp Invention.
o Received $100 from Citizen’s State Bank for Camp Invention.
o Received $250 from Bruce’s Body Shop for Camp Invention.
o Received $300 from GTrust Stockard PEO Fund for Camp Invention.
o Received $500 from R.L. or Elsa Helvering Trust for Camp Invention.
o Received $500 from Landoll Corporation for Camp Invention.
o Received $500 from the Berean Church to Marysville Elementary.
• Reviewed a budget report showing the current budget spent compared to budget spent for the last two years.
• Approved the 2010-11 Marysville High School Educational Planning Guide as presented.
• Approved the debate proposal which would offer Debate & Argumentation class during the fall semester as a non-competition class for 9-12 students; the duties of debate coach would shift from fall policy debate competition to spring debate competition in PFD, LD, SC; and that these class changes would be re-evaluated next year.
• Approved the Extended School Term Proposal for the summer of 2010.
• Tabled the Oehm scholarship recipient until the May board meeting.
• Approved the SRO (School Resource Officer) renewal contract for 2010-11.
• Received a letter form David Walters, Director of Alternative Education SEKESS that the Pony Express Learning Center in Marysville will be closing on May 14, 2010. Linda Prior, instructor, asked the district to consider keeping the center open at the local level. No decision was made.
• Heard that the KASB Region 4 Spring meeting for Board Members will be held on April 28th at Riley County High School.
• Approved a motion that the Board continue to participate with the Kansas Association of School Boards. The dues are $7,777 for membership and $1,400 for legal assistance.
• Approved a motion that the contract with Providence Working Canines lapse for the 2010-11 school year.
• Approved a motion to continue to sponsor voluntary student accident insurance through Students Assurance Services.
• Approved a motion to release teachers from making up the 5th snow day taken this year.
• Accepted the following resignations.
o Mike Einspahr – Special Education Teacher at Valley Heights
o Pam Smith – Food Service
o Jeannette Kloppenborg – Food Service
• Made the following appointments for Driver’s Education:
o Joel Naaf – Drivers Education (Classroom)
o Jeff Koch – Drivers Education (Driving)
• Appointed the following extra duty assignments:
o Drew Culbertson – JH Assistant Track
o Chad & Joy Kramer – Assistant Boys Tennis